Wednesday, May 11

Veronica Mars, The Perfect Crime, & Introductions

Veronica Mars . . .
is the new Sopranos. Screw all the Buffy comparisons, which are totally inaccurate. Yes, both shows are intellgent high school dramedys, filled with witty writing, and posses charismatic lead actresses. However, VM has a much stronger supporting cast and is grounded in reality. By comparing it to Buffy, lazy TV writers have done more to alienate this gem from the public than increase its audience.

Meanwhile, VM is so much more like the Sopranos, if only for the fact that the season finale was nowhere near as fantastic as last week's episode. The episode where Veronica learns who "raped" her was so brilliant, that it might have been one of the finer hours of TV I've ever seen. The writers managed to answer some big questions, advance the plot, and include most of the major and minor characters without it feeling forced.

Of course, VM is only in its debut season, so we'll have to wait for next year to find out if they've set a pattern. I'm not complaining though. This has been one of the most enjoyable shows I've ever seen. I'm thankful we got the whole season. Unlike The O.C., its first season never missed a beat. Even if next season pales in comparison, Rob Thomas and co. should give themselves one big old pat on the back and break out the Cristal for a job well done.

The Perfect Crime
I have decided that if I could probably commit the perfect crime, thanks to all the years I've spent watching Law & Order. Last night on SVU, I learned if you use a knife with a textured handle, you can't pick fingerprints off it. I've also learned to ask for a lawyer, even if you are innocent. Never take a drink if they offer it to you, and don't throw out a tissue if you sneeze in it.

Film Fatale, where's the movie talk?
I'm sure I'll get around to it, but just for the record I am a media whore. I consume just as much music, tv, and magazines as I do film, but all variations of Media Whore were taken on blogspot.com.

I have come up with two clever aliases in my life. Media Whore and Film Fatale. I'm not that creative folks, so you'll have to deal with the misleading moniker.

No comments: