Sunday, June 19

Batman Begins

Wow. I've always been a Batman fan. From Adam West's campy show to the movies, well at least until Joel came along and ruined the franchise. I've also been in love with Christian Bale since I saw Newsies. So, I was going to see this movie no matter what.

So that's why it feels so good to know that everyone involved did such a great job. The film is dark and delicious, and not remotely campy. Bale's Batman borders on psychotic, but when you think about, Bruce Wayne always had to be a little crazy. I think most of them have to go through a lot of therapy, but they will somehow find a way to go on with their lives. How many of them really become crusaders?

And I know Katie has gotten a lot of shit for her performance, but it's a nothing role. It takes a truly extraordinary actress to turn nothing into something. She's not extraordinary, but I think she's good for this role. She's young and pretty and I believed her as an idealist who won't comprise her ideals for a hunky billionaire. She has that slightly crazy look in her eyes, so it makes total sense. I would comprise everything for a hunky billionaire, but I've always been very corruptible.

1 comment:

Richard Gibson said...

Saw this on a long plane trip, it was very late. Seems decent enough, dark, better than the other films. Perhaps there is too much of an appetite for films from comics/graphic novels. I really wasn't impressed by 'Sin City' or 'The End of Violence' at all. Best film from this kind of material remains: 'American Splendor'.